In addition to leading the fight for equality and his many other contributions to society, Martin Luther King Jr. is remembered for inspiring people through his words. In honor of MLK Day, here are our top 10 Martin Luther King Jr. quotes.
- “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
- “We will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
- “The time is always right to do what is right.”
- “The quality, not the longevity, of one’s life is what is important.”
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.”
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
- “If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl. But, whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”
- “We must rapidly begin the shift from a “thing-oriented” society to a “person-oriented” society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.”
- “Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”
Please share your favorite Martin Luther King Jr. quotes.